How to make a pom pom rainbow
I cannot get enough of the rainbows during lockdown. We need all the colour and craft we can get at the moment. Keep the fingers busy and a really simple project using up some of the pom poms you've been busy making.
What you'll need
- 6 medium-sized pom poms
- 36cm sturdy wire (I honestly have no idea where I got this from, possibly the garden centre, possibly B&Q... it has been in our toolbox for years. It is at least 1mm thick)
- Wire cutters / pliers
- 2 tassels
- 20cm string/ribbon for hanging
Let's get started
1. Cut your wire and bend it into a smooth arch shape with your hands. Turn up the sides by 2.5cm using your pliers.
Hook a tassel onto the wire. Then find the middle string of your first pom pom. The wire should be threaded through the centre of this string. Think of it like an 'O' and poke the wire carefully through the middle. You might lose a strand or two as you push it through.
Push it all the way to the end where the tassel is, tucking the wire end inside the pom pom so that it's hidden.
2. Thread on the second and third pom poms. Then add a hanging loop. Thread on the next three pom poms.
3. Use your pliers to turn the wire upwards, slide on the tassel and cut it so that it's 2.5cm long from the fold.
4. Push all the pom poms up along the wire in order to get the end inside the last pom pom to hide it. Fluff up the pom poms evenly along the wire and use a tassel comb or fine-tooth comb to brush out your tassels and give them a final trim.
Now, hang up your beauty of a pom pom rainbow in a window, on the wall or anywhere that needs a bit of joy and a bit of colour. 🌈💕