Mother's Day paper cut card tutorial
I love paper cutting. I also love my mom. So I whipped up this template for a lovely paper cut Mother's Day card just in time for you all to make your mom's lovely handmade Mother's Day cards.
If you're reading this from the US, you're probably thinking, "Say what? Mother's Day is in May!" And you're right. But since I'm Canadian, living in London, I get to celebrate this lovely day twice a year.
Let's get started on our cards, shall we?
What you'll need:
blank square 13cm x 13cm card with matching envelope
graphite transfer paper (you can find this on Amazon or at London Graphic Centre)
craft scalpel cutting knife
cutting mat (a kitchen cutting board will do in a pinch)
decorative paper for the inside
pen or pencil
Let's do it:
1. Download and print the card template at 100%. Cut it out along the dotted lines. Open your card and lay your sheet of graphite paper face down on the left-hand side of the open card. Then lay your template face up on top of it. We're transferring our design in reverse on the inside of the card so that we don't have to go back and rub out the graphite marks on the front of the card.
2. Using a pencil or pen, trace along all the lines of the template to transfer the design. If you lose track of where you've traced and where you haven't, simply hold tight onto one corner so the template doesn't move and life up the transfer paper.
3. Once your design has been transferred, it's time to cut! It's important to have a sharp blade when paper cutting in order to get a nice, clean finish. Take it slow and cut with a constant and firm pressure.
4. When you have finished cutting out your design, admire your knife skills from the front of the card. So pretty, right? If you need to tidy up any edges, just turn the card over and clean up some of the cuts. If your edges look a bit ragged, it's probably time to change the blade in your knife, or use firmer pressure while cutting.
5. Next, cut a piece of decorative paper slightly smaller than the size of the card. In our case that would be 12.5cm x 12.5cm. Use a glue stick around the edge of the design and in a few places in the middle and stick your paper pretty side down so that it shows on the front of the card.
6. You're done! Write a sweet message for your mom on the inside and tuck it into an envelope.
Share your handmade cards with us! We're on Instagram and would love to see your handmade creations.